A Note Regarding Children.
Children (persons under the age of 18) are not eligible to use the Site unsupervised and we ask that children do not submit any personal information to us. If you are under the age of 18, you may only use the Site in conjunction with and under the supervision of your parents or legal guardians.
Information We Collect.
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is (i) to provide you with a safe, smooth, and efficient experience, and (ii) to be able to contact you in connection with your Submitted Content. We only collect personal information about you that we consider necessary for achieving this purpose.
In general, you can browse the Site without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Once you upload images or content and/or give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to upload images or content to the Site, we will require you to provide contact and identity information. Also, any Submitted Content will be viewable by other visitors to the Site. You always have the option to not provide information by choosing not to submit any images or content.
We automatically track certain information based upon your behavior on the Site. We use this information to do internal research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior to better understand, protect and serve you and our community. This information may include the URL that you just came from (whether this URL is on the Site or not), which URL you next go to (whether this URL is on the Site or not), your computer browser information, and your IP address.
If you choose to post messages on our message boards, we will collect that information you provide to us. We retain this information as necessary to resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems as permitted by law. If you send us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters, or if other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on the Site, we may collect such information into a file specific to you.
Our Use of Your Information.
We use your personal information in the file we maintain about you, and other information we obtain from your current and past activities on the Site to: contact you about any Submitted Content; resolve disputes; troubleshoot problems; detect and protect us against error, fraud and other criminal activity; enforce our Content Clearance Terms; and as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
You agree that we may use your personal information to contact you. By accepting the Terms, you expressly agree that we may contact you as provided herein.
Our Disclosure of Your Information.
IDEO may disclose information it has collected from you and/or Submitted Content you have made available on the Site when it believes in good faith that the law or legal process requires it, or when it is necessary to do so to protect the rights or property of IDEO or others. As a matter of policy, we do not sell or rent any of your personal information to third parties without your explicit consent. The following describes some of the ways that your personal information may be disclosed in the normal scope of our business.
Internal Service Providers for Our Operations. We may use third parties that we refer to as internal service providers to facilitate or outsource one or more aspects of our business and therefore we may provide some of your personal information directly to these internal service providers. These internal service providers’ are subject to confidentiality agreements with us and other legal restrictions that prohibit their use of the information we provide them for any other purpose except to facilitate the specific outsourced IDEO related operation, unless you have explicitly agreed or given your prior permission to them for additional uses.
Legal Requests. IDEO cooperates with law enforcement inquiries, as well as other third parties to enforce laws and intellectual property rights. Therefore, in response to a verified request by law enforcement or other government officials relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity, we can (and you authorize us to) disclose your name, city, state, telephone number, and email address. Without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy, we will not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement or other government officials without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss; or report suspected illegal activity.
Other Information Collectors.
Your information is stored on our service provider’s servers. For more information regarding the security of the servers, please see www.dreamhost.com/privacy.html. We use procedural and technical safeguards to protect your personal information against loss or theft as well as unauthorized access and disclosure to protect your privacy, including encryption, “firewalls” and Secure Socket Layers. We treat data as an asset that must be protected against loss and unauthorized access. We employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorized access by users inside and outside the company. However, “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet.
Questions may be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Acceptable Use Policy
The Site enables you to submit, post, and share information and content (“Contributions”) on the Site. IDEO does not want to receive through this Site any confidential or proprietary information or materials otherwise subject to use restrictions. You understand that all Contributions will be deemed public and not confidential.
You are prohibited from posting or transmitting any “sensitive” personally identifiable information over the Site, which may include, but not be limited to, any information about yourself or another person that may relate to health or medical conditions, social security numbers or national identifiers, credit card, bank account or other financial information, other information concerning trade union membership, sex life, political opinions, criminal charges or convictions, religious or philosophical beliefs, racial or ethnic origin, or other sensitive matters.
You are also prohibited from:
• using the Site to send or post harassing, abusive, or threatening messages;
• transmitting through the Site any information, data, text, files, links, images, software, or other materials that IDEO considers to be unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or which threatens our relationships with our Users, partners, customers or suppliers;
• attempting to conceal or misrepresent the identity of the sender, user or person submitting the information, or impersonate any individual (real names, e-mail addresses and other information must be used);
• disrupting the normal flow of the Site, including any dialogue on the Site or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other Users; or post any unsolicited chain letters, advertising, promotional materials, contests, or any other commercial or non-commercial solicitations;
• sending spam or other direct marketing communications or posting, transmitting or linking to any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or any other forms of solicitation or commercial content;
• intentionally or unintentionally performing or promoting any activity that would violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to any regulations having the force of law while using or accessing the Site;
• posting or transmitting executable programming of any kind, including viruses, spyware, trojan horses, easter eggs, or any other form of computer programming;
• posting Contributions or using the Site in such a way that damages the image or rights of IDEO, other Users, or third parties; and
• creating any frames at any other websites pertaining to any portion(s) of this Site.
Your Contribution to IDEO on this Site is entirely voluntary, non-confidential and gratuitous. You grant to IDEO and its designees an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable, sub-licensable, non-exclusive fully-paid up and royalty-free worldwide license to use any ideas, expression of ideas, Contributions or other materials you submit on this Site without restrictions of any kind and without any payment or other consideration of any kind, or permission or notification, to you or any third party.
The license shall include, without limitation, the irrevocable right to reproduce, prepare derivative works (e.g. a publication recording and celebrating a challenge), combine with other works, alter, translate, distribute copies, display, perform, license the Contribution or parts thereof, and all rights therein, in the name of IDEO, or its designees, throughout the universe in perpetuity in any and all media now or hereafter known.
By submitting any Contribution on this Site, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to the conditions listed hereunder, and further agree that these terms shall apply, until such time as IDEO otherwise agrees in writing, to any additional Contribution, update to Contributions or content previously or later submitted.
• You represent and warrant that you are the owner of all Contributions and have all legal right and authority to grant IDEO the license and rights set forth herein. All necessary licenses, permissions, releases and consents required (including without limitation, privacy releases and/or publicity releases necessary for Contributions depicting people, products, businesses, or other content) have been obtained for you to grant the licenses contained herein.
• Your Contribution represents your own original work, you have all necessary rights to disclose your Contribution to IDEO and in doing so IDEO’s review and/or use of your Contribution, will not infringe upon any other individual’s or entity’s rights.
• You understand that disclosure of your Contribution to IDEO does not establish a confidential relationship or obligate IDEO to treat your Contribution (or any related content) as secret or confidential.
• You understand that IDEO has no obligation, either express or implied, to develop or use your Contribution and that no compensation is due to you or anyone else for any inadvertent or intentional use of that Contribution, related Contributions or works derived from your Contribution. You understand that IDEO assumes no obligation with respect to any Contribution.
• You acknowledge that IDEO, directly or indirectly, may be working on the same Contribution or a similar Contribution to your Contribution, or already knows of such Contribution from other sources. You also understand that other Users may be working on the same or a similar Contribution.
• You agree that (except to the extent that these terms are superseded by a separate agreement in writing by you and IDEO) you hereby irrevocably release and forever discharge IDEO from any and all actions, causes of actions, claims, damages, liabilities and demands, whether absolute or contingent and of any nature whatsoever, which you now have or hereafter can, shall or may have against IDEO and its affiliates and subsidiaries or their respective successors and assigns with respect to your Contribution, including without limitation in respect of how IDEO directly or indirectly use your Contribution.
• In operating the Site, IDEO may act as a “services provider” as defined by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and offer services as online provider of materials and links to third-party websites. IDEO’s procedures with respect to the DMCA Procedure and alleged copyright infringement can be reviewed below and you agree to comply with IDEO’s requirements with this respect.
• You agree that IDEO shall not be responsible for any fees that are or become payable as a result of the copying, distribution or display of the Contributions, including without limitation fees: (i) for any images or video recording embodied in the Contributions; (ii) for any composition or underlying works embodied in any Contributions; or (iii) to any actor, model, writer, creator, composer, artist or artist affiliated entity.
• IDEO retains the right to review, edit or delete from the Site any Contribution which IDEO in its sole discretion considers illegal, offensive or otherwise inappropriate.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act – Infringement Notification Procedures
It is IDEO’s policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. In addition, IDEO will promptly terminate without notice the accounts of users that are determined by IDEO to be “repeat infringers.” A repeat infringer is a user who has been notified by IDEO of infringing activity violations more than twice and/or who has had a user submission removed from an IDEO Site more than twice.
To file a copyright infringement notification with us, you will need to send a written communication that sets forth the items specified below (please consult your legal counsel or see Section 512(c)(3) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to confirm these requirements):
A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed. Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site. Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material. Providing URLs in the notice is the best way to help us locate content quickly. Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted. A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (for example, “I am under the good faith belief that the use of the copyrighted content that is identified herein is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.”). A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed (for example, “I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner, of the copyright(s) that is (are) allegedly infringed by the aforementioned content.”).
To expedite our ability to process your request, such written notice should be sent to our designated copyright agent via email at email@example.com or via regular mail to the following address:
100 Forest Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301
Attn: IDEO DMCA copyright infringement notification
For clarity, only DMCA notices should go to the IDEO Designated Copyright Agent. Any other feedback, comments, requests for technical support or other communications should be directed to IDEO through firstname.lastname@example.org. You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the requirements of this section, your DMCA notice may not be valid.
Please note that under Section 512(f) any person who materially misrepresents that material or activity is infringing may be subject to liability for damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees).
Please also note that the information provided in this legal notice may be forwarded to the person who provided the allegedly infringing content.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act – Counter-Notification Procedures
The process for counter-notifications is governed by Section 512(g) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
To file a counter notification with us, you will need to send a written communication that sets forth the items specified below (please consult your legal counsel or see Section 512(g) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to confirm these requirements):
A physical or electronic signature of the user. Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled. Providing the specific URL(s) of the material that IDEO has removed or to which IDEO has disabled access is the best way to help us locate content quickly. Your full name, address, telephone number, and email address, and the username of your IDEO account. A statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located (or any judicial district in which IDEO may be found if your address is outside of the United States), and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under subsection (c)(1)(C) or an agent of such person. A statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled (for example, “I swear, under penalty of perjury, that I have a good faith believe that the material was removed or disabled as a result of a mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.”).
Send the written communication to our designated copyright agent via email at email@example.com or via regular mail to the following address:
100 Forest Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301
Attn: IDEO DMCA copyright infringement notification
Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.
Accordingly, if you are not sure whether certain material infringes the rights of others, we suggest you consult your legal counsel.
What happens next?
After we receive your counter-notification, we will forward it to the party who submitted the original claim of copyright infringement. Please note that when we forward the counter-notification, it includes your personal information. By submitting a counter-notification, you consent to having your information revealed in this way.
After we send out the counter-notification, the claimant must then notify us within 10 days that he or she has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in infringing activity relating to the material on IDEO. If we receive such notification we will be unable to restore the material. If we do not receive such notification, we may reinstate the material.
DISCLAIMER: WE ARE NOT YOUR ATTORNEYS, AND THE INFORMATION PRESENTED HERE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. WE PRESENT THIS INFORMATION FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.